Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Wednesday-10am

I can actually participate in two things today, believe it or not.  Both the zendala weekly challenge and What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday!
****
Erin's Zendala Dare #70 over at The Bright Owl--goodness!  I don't think I've done one of these for a couple of months!
I actually used a couple of legitimate tangle patterns (Girdy and Meer)--or my variations of them.  Looks better from far away. 
I have an astigmatism and those close lines kept blurring on me--LOL!  But I finally got back to doodling and it was fun.  :)
You can go here to see what other people did with this template.  :)
****
Then for WOYWW #220 (talk about being late to the party, eh?)...Dagan and Leah were over last night and put up my skinny shelf above my art table!
Before you are too puzzled, I asked for the shelf to be shifted over to the right because I will always need a lamp on my left and the lamp gets in the way when you're reaching, you know? 
It's low so I can fit taller bottles on it (and also so that it's easier for somebody short on one end to reach it).  The shelf is actually the Ribba Picture Shelf from IKEA and has about 2 3/4 inches of space to set things on.  Not deep enough for anything large, but handy for getting smaller items off the table while I am working.  I'm sure it is going to become a mess because of spray bottles and scissors and the like, but even the bigger one I got was only $14.99 so it wouldn't be expensive to replace. 
****
And what did I do yesterday?  Remember those mysterious spots and dots?  I decided to scribble some of my Lyra watercolor crayons all over the page and use the baby wipes to smear the color around...thinking maybe it might cover up the spots. 
Really deepened up the colors... 
...and the mystery spots!  ROFL! 
Just to show you how cheap watercolor paper buckles--this is what it looks like when it is wet/damp.  I always have to book press it to "mostly" flatten it down again.  
But I just made the art journals for myself for play-play-play...and for practice on coptic stitch.  I'm going to try using gesso first next time to see if that might give the paper more weight and structure.  I'll have to order some absorbent ground if I want to keep using watercolors, I guess.
****
If you want to see what a whole bunch of people have on their workdesks--go here.  I think it's fun to see what other people are up to and what their creative spaces look like.  I randomly snooped for a couple years before I finally joined last week.  Time commitments are hard for me these days, but I'll participate when I can.  :)
****
Anyways, Dagan and Leah took my cell phone with them.  I can get a new phone (this time I didn't fight the idea for two years) and there is some deal going on at Costco.  They wanted to treat me to a fancier smart phone with a bigger screen--took my old phone with so they can transfer the brains into the new phone.  Leah was working on setting the new phone up for me last night and they are bringing it over tonight--whoohoo!  (Not that I will know what to do with it--never knew much of what my old not-as-smart smart phone could do--lol!)  I know I have said it so many times, but Dagan and Leah are so very good to me.  :)
****
Oh, but they did startle the heck out of me arriving at 7pm!  Here I didn't know that Leah is back to regular hours and working till 5pm again AND the contractor had to switch to tonight.  So they really won't get here till later tonight--LOL!  Anyways, it was horrible out yesterday.  Not sure if we hit 100 degrees but the air was so thick you could cut it with a knife--awk!  Supposed to be close to 90 today.  Don't believe the myth that it is always cold in Fargo--LOL!  ;)  
Till next time!
****
"Goodness is about character--integrity, honesty, kindness, generosity, moral courage, and the like.  More than anything else, it is about how we treat other people."
Dennis Prager

24 comments:

Shelly said...

You are so organized it inspires me to work on my workspace! I hope you love your new phone and master it quickly.

And what does a certain sweet kitty think of the new skinny shelf?

shazsilverwolf said...

Wow, what an interesting post- loved it. Love the babywipe process- Its amazing what effects you can get with them, isn't it? I tried to wipe some ink off a card once, because I hated what I'd done, then thought I'd ruined it, so chucked it to one side, When I looked at it next day, I'd achieved a lovely misty scene, completely by accident. Have a great week, Hugs Shaz #50 xx

TexWisGirl said...

nice of them to take your cell in for an upgrade! i like the work table and shelf space.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I LOVE that skinny shelf. Wish I had a place over my desk I could build one. And of course, I love that zen-thingy (grin). Happy WOYWW from #10, but of course, you know me.

Monica said...

I am gessoing all my paper when I use acrylics and need to use up the Gesso as it had mold on it. I like the spots effect and never thought to use baby wipes that way.
Monica 81

Janie Junebug said...

I don't use many apps on my smart phone, but it's worth having a smart phone for the ones I use. I like the mystery dots.

Love,
Janie

Anne's tangle blog said...

I am soooooo pleased to see you back at the Dare. You did very well too.

Intense Guy said...

I hope you and the hot Kat are "keeping cool"!

How's the new phone working? whatcha git?? huh? HUH?? :)

Beth said...

A very interesting post Rita!

Jenny Woolf said...

Anyone as good as your Dagan and Leah have got to be precious gems. I love those repeating and changing Zendala lines.
Supposed to be getting hotter here, too, again. I'm glad although I would draw the line well before 100 deg!

Unknown said...

I haven't moved on to the smart phone yet, but sure thinking about it.
I love that I learned about baby wipes; good for many things in the studio.

Ali H said...

Love your designs ! So glad the desk is coming together & you are enjoying using it ! Ali #30

Monique said...

Love your new shelf over your desk, it looks great and it looks so handy to put all your stuff out of the way and onto the shelf. Love the doodle thingy as well. I think you did great.
Happy (late) WOYWW Hugs Monique #110

GrandmaG said...

If my friends saw my workspace right now, they would refuse to believe it's mine! LOL

I hate clutter and generally keep things neat and tidy. But that's impossible when paper crafting, especially when a project goes on for days.

I'm so intrigue with the Zendalas. Maybe someday I'll have a spare minute to give it a try. LOL

So glad you're feeling better! :)

VonnyK said...

Your zentangle is fabulous, no way I could do one with my eyes. I can relate to your crinkly paper, I now use much heavier watercolour paper but it still bows up a bit. That shelf is a great idea, I just wish I had wall space to put one on. Good luck with your phone, I still can't figure my so called smart phone out. I had a look at your previous post and that journal page is fantastic. The colours are just perfect. I will gladly take some of your heat, it's freezing here again. It went down to 6 degrees over night and only getting to 22 deg today (brrr).
Have a great week,
Von.

Tangles and More said...

Girdy is a great choice for this template. Looks great.

ria gall said...

your zentangle looks amazing and I love the shape that you have worked it in.
Shame about those spots on your painting I hope it get sorted
Have a really great WOYWW and enjoy the rest of your week
Hugs Ria #85

MiniOwner said...

I love your drawing and what a super workdesk, too. Happy Wednesday.
Sue x (MiniOwner@65)

Dragonfly-Artz said...

Beautifully done!

Carol said...

Love the Zendala !!! I just might have to print off the template and give that one a whirl. Haven't Tangled in a while now :) Still running on low today and fighting nausea ...Good day for doodling .

Anonymous said...

Love that lime green!

Unknown said...

fabulous workspace, love the new shelf.

totally sympathise with that heat, you poor thing.

Lynda #94

AliceKay said...

I love your new workspace. The skinny shelf looks so handy.

I don't know how to work some of the functions on my phone and I don't even have a very smart phone..which is good because I'm not very smart when it comes to smart phones. If I have a problem, I ask my daughter. lol

You are very fortunate to have great kids who look out for you and help you. :)

Mimi said...

you have to have a lot of patience to do Zentangles

and congrats on the fancy new phone!